This is one of the most spectacular forest reserves in the Canton of Ticino, a hotspot of biodiversity, with beeches, mountain pines and limestone pinnacles. A number of rare plants grow on the steep dry meadows, including some at risk of extinction: gentians, gladioli, lilies, columbine, cyclamen and saxifrage, all of which are strictly protected. When walking quietly along the paths, you might see the turning flight pattern of the raven, the dives of the peregrine falcon and the cross-like shape of the kestrel as it hovers in the air.
- Area: 251 hectares
- Altitude: 1,000-1,491 m a.s.l.
- Main trees: beech, mugo pine
- Year of establishment: 2018
- Owner: Patriziato di Sonvico and Villa Luganese
- Period: all year, except in case of snowfall
- Hiking boots are required
- The Denti della Vecchia Forest Reserve can be visited starting from Villa Luganese (600 m a.s.l.), to initially reach the Pairolo Hut (1,350 m a.s.l.), continue along the watershed up to Alpe Bolla (1,130 m a.s.l.) and from here return to the starting point.
- PARKS AND GARDENS Natural parks