Giovanni Bruno, a doctor from Bellinzona, began work on the preindustrial tilt hammer complex in Carena in 1792?93. When he died in 1795, his work was continued by the Airoldi family from Lugano, before being taking over by C. Ripamonti Carpano from Milan and J. C. de Granier from Paris in around 1820. As well as the blast furnace and tilt hammer, the site also housed accommodation, charcoal stores, forges and metalworking premises.
Work came to a definitive end in 1831 following a fire, which may have been started maliciously. The ruins of the preindustrial tilt hammer complex in Carena have undergone major excavation, consolidation and restoration work, with the old furnace and other important elements uncovered in 1999. A number of detailed information boards can be found here.