The Alpe Sponda refuge is located in the vast basin of the Chironico Valley at 2,000 m a.s.l. It is an ideal starting and transit point for various hiking and mountaineering routes (via delle Alpi Lepontine). This is a region of considerable mineralogical interest; it is worth remembering that the area of Pizzo Forno hides two authentic rarities: distene blue (or Kyanite) and brown Staurolite, two minerals present almost exclusively in this region and exhibited in museums around the world. On the crest between Pizzo Piancoi and Cima di Bedeglia stands a curious monolith about twenty meters high in the shape of a man commonly called "Man of Campionigo".
Built in 1948 and enlarged in 1959, it was completely destroyed by an avalanche in 1975; thanks to the voluntary help of many members, it was immediately rebuilt as we see it today.
The refuge has all the necessary infrastructure to ensure a pleasant stay:
- 2 large refectors.
- 4 dormitories with a total of 46 beds. Duvets, use of silk bag required.
- Half board available on reservation.
- Wood stove and gas stove available.
- Shower with tokens.
- Open from May to October. For large groups the reservation is required.
- Running water and electricity, the latter guaranteed by an independent water turbine, in full respect of the environment.
- Winter period with partial opening, 14 places, running water and electricity from solar sources, available.
Opening period, prices and other information: click here.
- SERVICES Open in Winter
- FACILITIES Shower , Heating
- VENUES Suitable for families