100 years after it was written – Hermann Hesse's autobiographical fairy tale in the form of contemporary artists' books
"Childhood of the magician" an autobiographical fairy tale by Hermann Hesse, takes us on a journey through his childhood. In it, he describes the meaning of being a child and his own search for a place in the world of adults, among memories and dreams. Playfully, he immerses himself in the fantastic world of his youth, surrounded by mysterious and fascinating objects of his parental home, that in his eyes come to life.
Thirty-one Italian artists were inspired by the images and feelings evoked by the fairy tale and created artists' books using different techniques and materials. The book becomes thus a work of art that offers the possibility to experience reading in visual and tactile form. Thanks to this new contemporary approach, the exhibition will give visitors the opportunity to reread, observe and touch by hand Hesse's literary jewel, full of stimulation and expressive depths.
- Curated by: Marcel Henry and Chiara Ottavi
- In collaboration by: Libri Liberi and Doppio Senso
- 04.11.2023 – 29.02.2024: Saturday and Sunday, 10:30 am – 5:30 pm
- 01.03.2023 – 03.03.2024: every day, 10:30 am – 5:30 pm
- Vernissage: Saturday 4th of Novembre 2023, 4:30 pm at the Museo Hermann Hesse Montagnola
- CHF 10.– / 8.–
- OPENING Sat... Sun: 10:30 – 17:30
- CATEGORIES Literature , Exhibitions and fairs