On Sunday, 15th of October 2023, the Lugano Volunteer Corps commemorates the 225th anniversary of the « Moti di Lugano ».
We remember the 14th of February 1798, a fundamental moment in local history that have enormous consequences: in terms of freedom and the continued association of Lugano and the whole of Ticino, in Switzerland.
Precisely for freedom, a group of only 60 young people, led by Pietro Rossi, embraced the city's cause without too much hesitation, in order to face the threats of the Cisalpine Repuplic.
In the 1777 a voluntary militia group was formed: the Volontari del Borgo, later known as the Lugano Volunteer Corps.
In honor of this important occasion, the Lugano Volunteer Corps is organizing a great event that will involve the entire community: a magnificent parade of historical militias from all parts of the Switzerland along our beautiful lakeside promenade, from Piazza Luvini to Piazza Riforma.
2:15 pm – 3:15 pm
- Historical parade with Swiss militias along the Lugano lakeside. The parade will start in Piazza Luvini until it reaches Piazza Riforma
3:00 pm – 4:15pm
- Arrival in Piazza Riforma and start Ceremony with speeches by the Authorities
4:15 pm – 4:45 pm
- Interaction time with the public: photos and meetings with the historical militias
4:45 pm – 5:15 pm
- The militias say farewell to the crowd and departure in formation from Piazza Riforma
- OPENING Sun: 14:15 – 17:15
- CATEGORIES Local festivals