Public transportation has repeatedly proven to be an important strategic way to contain traffic. However, few cities have managed to deal with this problem efficiently.
Nowadays public transportation is not very appealing, as it is expensive and offers less flexibility than a private vehicle. Nevertheless, in order to find a solution to the existing environmental and functional problems caused by traffic, the only alternative to cars is public transportation. These means in turn should become faster and more functional, a target which entails major structural investments and more dinamic management systems. The city of Lugano has already been heading this way, both by implementing its new transportation plan (Piano dei trasporti del Luganese, PTL) and by restructuring the transportation company (TPL).
With the purpose of further coordinating the services offered by the two regional transportation lines (ARL and Autopostale Ticino e Moesano), some targeted changes are necessary, like the creation of intersections between private and public means of transportation.
Any changes will necessarily be pro environment (reduction of air and noise pollution). The city will then be again more peaceful, and pedestrians and bikers will have sufficient space and be able to move rapidly and safely.
Information for disabled people
Bus line ARL Lugano-Tesserete
- Bus well accessible
- It's preferable to advise in advance Tel.: +41 91 973 31 31
Bus of the city of Lugano TPL
- All the busses that has the wheelchair mark are easily accessible
- All the accessible bus stops have also the wheelchair mark
- The funicolar between the city centre and the rail station FFS is accessible (temporarily out of order)
FLP rail service Lugano-Ponte Tresa
- The central coach os easily accessible
- For particular situations call the +41 91 923 23 92
- SBB (Swiss Railways) Call Center Handicap 0800 007 102
Transport for disabled people
- A.L.T.A.I.R (Associazione Luganese per il Trasporto di Andicappati e Invalidi della Regione) Centro Nord-Sud, Via Campagna 26, 6934 Bioggio, Tel.: +41 91 994 50 50 lu-ve dalle 14:00 alle 16:00, Natel: +41 79 223 98 89 oppure +41 79 223 98 85, E-mail: [email protected], Website: www.altairlugano.ch
- S.T.C (Servizio Trasporto e Accompagnamento), Via Maggio 11. 6900 Lugano, Natel: +41 79 214 92 60, E-mail: [email protected]
Important notice: FuniBus is the service that will temporarily replace the funicular (Lugano Railroad Station- Lugano Centre) as of 04.08.2014.
The TPL funicular station service will be interrupted starting on August 4th, thus allowing the beginning of the renovation works connected to a series of other works related to the building of the new FFS Railway Station Foyer.
The new funicular will be inaugurated in December 2016. During this period Lugano Public Transportation (TPL) will render FuniBus available, a shuttle bus service directly connecting the FFS Railway Station to the City Centre.
- TRANSPORTS Bus