Monte Generoso is one of the best panoramic mountains in Ticino.
Since 1890, the indefatigable rack and pinion train has set off from Capolago and has climbed the slopes of Monte Generoso, whisking passages up to a height of 1704 m. Once they alight, passengers are welcomed by the Fiore di pietra designed by Switzerland’s starchitect, Mario Botta. The petals of this architectural marvel which blossomed in 2017 on the summit’s rocky spur include two restaurants and a conference room providing a window onto a sublime 360° panorama. Monte Generoso offers visitors plenty of opportunities for relaxing strolls, more demanding hikes or culinary experiences.
THE IDEAL PROGRAMME - MORNING
- By train to Capolago railway station
- Take the cogwheel train to the summit of Monte Generoso
- Stroll around and have lunch on the top of the mountain
THE IDEAL PROGRAMME - AFTERNOON
- Visit to the renovated Church Madonna della Provvidenza
- Walk along the pathway of the planets
- Return by train to Capolago
NOT TO BE MISSED
- Several nature trails for exploring the area