The funicular of Lugano represents the fastest way to reach the SBB station. It is a modern, secure, comfortable, and technologically advanced means of transport.
It was created in 1886, when Lugano was already a well-known touristic destination. In the last 2 years the station has been completely renovated and since December 11, with the opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, the funicular has become available for both visitors and residents.
For its 130th birthday the funicular received a new name as a present: it is now known as "Sassellina", in memory of the old quarter Sassello in the station area.
- The funicular is in service from 5.00 p.m. to 0.00 a.m. non-stop
- The transportation time is 1 minute and a half
- The ticket costs CHF 1.30 and it can be bought at the ticket office from 7.00 a.m. to 7 p.m. or at the vending machine all day long
- The Arcobaleno Fare System tickets are valid as transport documents
- TRANSPORTS Funiculars - Cable cars