The small village of Tremona has become known for its archaeological excavations which have been carried out since 2000. Teams of archaeologists and volunteers have uncovered well-preserved remains of a hilltop settlement which, with its remarkable finds, provides unique insights into the past of the region. Most of all, archaeology shows what life was like in a medieval village. Excavations have revealed how the villagers lived and died, how their houses were built and what conditions were like for both peasants and the lord of the castle.
How to reach the park
The archaeological park is reachable within 10 minutes by foot, following the trail leaving from Tremona (via al Castello). Good shoes are advised. The trail is not suited for prams.
The archaeological park offers a detailed reconstruction of the daily life of a rural village during medieval times, through a route illustrated by panels in two languages (Italian and English). The visitors may therefore grasp the strategic role the settlement had during the past, as well as discover the daily life led by the inhabitants, through interesting characters and themes, such as the blacksmith and its workshop, the woman and her activities, the houses and the feeding.
Go off to explore the medieval village through the 3D
The meticulous study of archaeological artefacts discovered on-site and their comparison with other archaeological pieces allowed the reconstitution of the various phases and characteristics of the village of Tremona-Castello.
Thanks to the 3D technology, a film was produced to give the viewer the opportunity to visit the village virtually. The films are available on YouTube.
The 3D glasses
In order to improve the experience by projecting oneself into the Middle Age thanks to augmented reality, there is the possibility to rent 3D glasses, available exclusively at the following address :
Infopoint: c/o casa comunale, via al Castello 10, 6865 Tremona
Phone + 41 58 688 32 02
- usually from Thursday to Sunday
- daily from April 18th to April 28th / from July 4th to August 25th / from September 20th to October 26th
- from 10:00 to 18:00
- 21 June - summer solstice
- 16 July - full moon night
- 12 August - night of San Lorenzo
- 14 September - full moon night
(3D glasses rental possible from 10.30 to 19.30)
Rental 3D glasses - practical information
- the glasses are currently available in 4 languages (Italian, French, German and English)
- glasses can only be rented from 8 years of age
- It is possible to rent them from 10:30 until 17:00
Rental 3D glasses - costs per person and pair of glasses
- adults CHF 12.-
- children from 8 to 16 / Students / AVS CHF 8.-
- families up to 4 people (2 adults, 2 children) CHF 30.- (= 4 pairs of glasses) / for each additional child CHF 7.-/pair of glasses
- groups (previously booked), minimum 10 people CHF 7.-
The 3D glasses rental for school groups is only permitted from middle school onwards.
In order to rent the glasses, an ID must be left as a deposit.
It is advised to wear good shoes (for hiking trails).
Partner Ticino Ticket
Thanks to Ticino Ticket you can visit this attraction at a discounted price. Ask the ticket at your hotel, campsite or hostel and find out all the offers you can receive.
- OPENING 13.04 - 31.10