DescriptionThe parish church, dedicated to the saints Cosma and Daniano, is situated in Piazza del Ponte, on the site of two earlier churches, one Romanesque first appearing in official records in 1323 and the another built in the Baroque style and consecrated in 1672.
The current church was built in 1863-75 in the Neoclassical style (design by Luigi Fontana). Sitting as it does on a promontory, it dominates the area and is held by many to be the most impressive ecclesiastical building in the Canton of Ticino. Its has a majestic façade with three arches decorated with pillars and Corinthian capitals imitating a typical Roman triumphal arch. Above is a large attic with caryatids and the bell tower.
The interior has an equally strong Neoclassical feel to it, with a single nave in a Greek cross layout, typical of old Roman baths, and the semi-circular apse reminiscent of a praetorial basilica. The effect of spaciousness and majesty is also the result of the high side wall with solid half-columns, the cornice and large dome. The first chapel on the left contains the font salvaged from the original Romanesque church. The basin is made from Arzo marble. The wooden ciborium is exquisitely carved and decorated.
Other works of art come from the previous Baroque church, including the main altar. Designed in 1669-70 by Primo Lezzani and Giovanni Gaffuri, this somewhat ornate altar features twisted columns, aediculae and small statues, giving it the appearance of a miniature Baroque temple.
The second chapel on the right has a black marble altar. A niche in this contains a Madonna del Rosario [Our Lady of the Rosary] statue attributed to Agostino Silva. This is flanked by paintings depicting the Misteri del Rosario [Mysteries of the Rosary] dated 1654-59, the work of Francesco Torriani and others.