Take your bike on the train with you
Take your bike along as you travel: You can load your bike yourself, register it as an item of luggage or carry it on board as hand luggage.
Self-service loading of bicycles in Switzerland
You may load empty bicycles and e-bikes on most trains operated by SBB and private railway companies as well as most postbuses if you have a valid bike ticket.
- In the online timetable, select «Advanced search» and then «carriage of bicycles required (Switzerland only)» to see the routes on which you can take your bike yourself.
- Bikes may not be transported on certain S-Bahn trains in Ticino at peak time from Monday to Friday (excluding school summer holidays).
- that travel through the Gotthard Base between 21 March and 31 October.
- You can purchase a reservation for CHF 5 at the station or up to five minutes before departure on the SBB Mobile app or SBB.ch.
- You can purchase a reservation at the station or up to five minutes before departure on the SBB Mobile app or SBB.ch.
- The reservation costs CHF 5. Without reservation: surcharge of CHF 10.
- The 1-day bike pass costs CHF 20 (CHF 13 with half price).
- Children's bikes for children under the age of 6 count as hand luggage and can be taken on board free of charge.
- The availability of bike places may be limited.
Bicycles as hand luggage
You can take your bicycle on the train with you free of charge as hand luggage if you pack it into a transport bag. Use a special carry case for this such as the TranZBag. which is available in the SBB Online Shop or from specialist bike or outdoor shops. Every cover is acceptable regardless of its manufacturer. The front wheel must be removed and packed into the transport bag along with the bike.
- During the journey, please store your packed bike under your seat, on an overhead luggage rack or in the nearest vestibule area.
- Please make sure your bicycle carry case is secure and cannot tip over, is not in the way of other passengers, is not blocking any sliding doors and does not constitute a hazard.
Ship your bike anywhere in Switzerland
Planning a weekend or holidays in Ticino and wishing you could take your bike along? Simply register your bike at the station as an item of luggage – and it will be there waiting for you.
- A valid ticket lets you drop off your bike at most stations with a luggage counter and pick it up again too (cost: CHF 18).
- Bikes dropped off by 7 p.m. are ready for pick up two days later from 9 a.m. Please note the business hours of the individual luggage counters.