The deconsecrated church of S. Maria Foris Portas (before VI century b.C.) is located closed to the archeological site of Castelseprio and it is considered a jewel of art, history and culture. Escaped the destruction of the village of Castrum Sibrium (Castelseprio) by Ottone Visconti’s troops in 1287, the building has a trefoil plan uncommon in Western churches. In 1944 under a layer of plaster, it’s discovered a cycle of frescos representing the childhood stories of Jesus, taken from the apocryphal gospel, dating from before the middle of X century; one of a kind, for some details this masterpiece is attributed to a Byzantine artist with extraordinary painting skill. Since 2011 the church, property of the Province of Varese who oversaw the restoration works, and all the archeological site of Castelseprio, were declared by UNESCO, World Heritage Site, which part of the serial site “Longobards in Italy: the power sites”.
Foto: Archivio fotografico Provincia di Varese