The oratory of S. Bernardo is located above Monte Carasso, at about 600 msm, and can be reached either by cable car (intermediate stop Curzùtt) that leads to Mornera or with a twenty-minute walk at the end of the carriage road that climbs from the station of the cable car.
As Gilardoni states in his "Inventory", this small oratory can be considered a true mountain museum of frescoes dating from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century.
It is a building already documented in the twelfth century with subsequent additions and transformations.
Outside, on the facade, there are depictions of 1582 (Ascension, God the Father, Saints) and, on the south side, a large fifteenth-century St. Christopher.
Inside, on the counter-façade, Christ in the tomb with angels and some figures of saints (Seregnesi workshop).
On the north wall stands a large Last Supper (Cristoforo da Seregno, 1450). On the left there are figures of saints, probably from the same hand. The frescoes to the right of the Supper (Crucifixion, Adoration of the Magi and, in the lower area, representation of the months) are by an unknown artist and are dated 1427.
On the opposite wall there are figures of saints and a Trinity in the style of the Seregnesi, as well as a vivid representation of the Martyrdom of St. Apollonia (about 1480, perhaps the work of Nicolao da Seregno) and a Madonna on the Throne of '300.
In the chapel on the right the frescoes are later (1565), while those in the choir (Crucifixion, scenes from the life of St. Bernard) date back to 1607.
Closed all year round.
Key at: Monte Carasso cableway station (tel. 091 825 81 88); Palazzo Municipale (tel. 091 821 15 55); Monte Carasso parish house (091 825 82 90).