Situated on a hill in an elevated position, it probably belonged, as its name attests, to a castle destroyed in 1518 by the Uranus.
It is a small Romanesque church with rough masonry and two apses, one to the north, quadrangular, and one to the south, semicircular.
The original part, included in the south apse, could date back to the twelfth century, while the rectangular apse and the extension towards the facade and the fourteenth century. The bell tower is leaning against the round apse by means of two round arches.
Inside, the nave is divided longitudinally by two arches on a pillar. Around the ceiling, completely rebuilt in wood coffered in 1575 as attested by the inscription above the arch of the left choir, runs a frame decorated with black and white chess and naturalistic motifs.
The two choirs are separated by wrought iron grilles from the 17th century.
While the right choir has walls frescoed with modern paintings, the frescoes in the left choir date back to the first half of the 15th century. On the vault the Christ with the symbols of the Evangelists, on the back, in the lunette, St. George killing the dragon, St. Bernard and St. Blaise, on the left wall St. Sebastian with an inscription in Gothic characters dated 1448.
Except for the two later figures of St. Bernard and St. Blaise, all the other frescoes certainly belong to a Seregnese artist. The figures, however, as critics observe, with their faces with a single and unchanging physiognomy, in rigidly frontal positions and naive and childish features, do not make one think of Nicolao da Seregno who frescoed the church of S. Nicolao, again in Giornico, but of one of his predecessors.
Key to Mrs Doris Solari, Giornico (tel. 091 864 19 87).
Special Feasts: St. Joseph, Palm Sunday, All'Assunta.r